Thursday, January 20, 2011

Chapter Two

In all honesty, I really did read chapter two however for some reason the thing that stuck with me the most was one little quote: “The art world may appear vast on the outside, but it is really a tiny little town. You will find that everyone knows everyone else and they do talk.”It just made me laugh and best of all it really was true. It was in the context of putting fake info on you artist bio but, that’s not what I want to talk about, I want to talk about how small the artist world is in the small city of Rochester Minnesota. I haven’t been in the artist world for that long of a time; I just started to scratch the surface when I went to my first photo class in college however, as more and more time goes by I find myself knowing more and more people in the art world. The thing that really amazes me is that I can go to an art show opening and recognize people, granted not that many people but come on I only just recently really jumped into the artist world. I can go to my classes and recognize almost every single person in the class. Something about this community just makes me happy and for the first time I really feel as though I belong, that I am not the one on the outside looking in that I get to belong in a place that make me happy.

On a side note: Alec Soth is one of my favorite photographers and I thought someone might find the below video interesting, it’s about him and his exhibition at the Walker Art Center.



1 comment:

  1. Really insightful post - thanks for the Alec Soth video - I think you touch on something important that the reading really didn't make explicit - the fact that network (who you know) is vitally important to being a successful, exhibiting artist. People who are in a position to show your work need to know you as a productive, responsible, professional image-maker who can be counted on to deliver when it is necessary.

    ReplyDelete