Thursday, February 17, 2011

Blog for Ch.5

While I found that this reading had more questions than answers, I also thought it was very interesting and informative. Once again, when I finished this chapter I was left with many thoughts one that seems to be a common over this book, I really want to work at a gallery or a museum. However, that is not the only thing I left with. I also got answers to some of the questions asked in this chapter.

• Who is responsible for framing the art? Most of the time it is the artist, under certain circumstances the artist may not have to or could get help paying for the framing. I.e. if the artist is famous and demands that the gallery pay of it or the gallery puts it (the art) under glass.

• Who is responsible for hanging the art? Most of the time it is the gallery, a new artist may want more input but it is a good idea to trust the curator they might surprise you. There is however some special occasions where the artist might be called in to help with the install, i.e. a really hard or strange install.

• Who pays for the shipping of the art? In most circumstances the artist pays for the trip to the museum or gallery and the museum or gallery pays for the trip back to the artist.

• Is it ok to ask for what I (the artist) want? YES! Do not be pushy but, if you do not ask for what you want you will never get it.
Well that’s all folks, on a side not some people might find this really cool. After all this reading about galleries it might be fun to see what goes on behind the scenes. Meet the curator! (sorry she is a little hard to understand at times)

No comments:

Post a Comment