Thursday, February 10, 2011

Ch. 4

Three things came to my mind when I read this chapter for class. One, I really want to start banging my head against something because, becoming a well known artist is so hard and it really has a lot of “rules”. Two, wow people must really work hard and really want to be well known. Three, the more I read this book the more I think I would be better at being in the gallery not the studio. Truth be told, I get that the author needed to fill a whole book with info that he thought would help us and yes a lot of it is good info that probably will help some reader but sometimes when I read this I think “there is no way in heck that I am going through all that trouble and work just to get turned down.” I really like some of what this guy is saying but some of it just feels like this guy is just trying to make the reader feel really really intimidated.
I know I have said this before but REALLY, the more I read this book the more I think I want to work at a gallery or a museum (more likely the museum) because let’s face it, it just seems more like something I would enjoy and that’s why people make art, they enjoy making art and are willing to go out there and do all the things the book talks about. I think that I would much rather be the person who gets to jet around the world looking for the perfect piece of art of someone, the person who gets to make some ones career by putting them in a big New York galley. That just sounds more me, because when I read this book the parts I find more interesting are when he talks about what the galleries do not the artists.
On a side note, I found this website: http://www.twincitiesfinearts.org/ and it look really cool.

1 comment:

  1. You should start looking for a work study position or volunteer position in a gallery asap - it would be great experience for you. The Rochester Art Center loves to use volunteers, all they ask is that you commit to a set of predictable hours so they know you will be around - you could donate five hours a week

    ReplyDelete